Due to the novel coronavirus (COVID-19),
the Intimacy of Creativity 2020 has been canceled.
Introduction to IC2020
Hailed by the Financial Times as a festival with a “finely hewn sense of craft,” Intimacy of Creativity – The Bright Sheng Partnership: Composers Meet Performers in Hong Kong (IC) returns for another innovative season from April 20 to May 3, 2020, presented in partnership with the renowned Curtis Institute of Music!
Intimacy of Creativity explores the creative process through public, in-depth Open Discussions on the campus of The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST), which presents the festival. Revised compositions by selected Composer Fellows, between ages 20 and 35, are formally presented at Preview Concerts on campus, and World Premiere Concerts held in renowned venues in downtown Hong Kong.
The 2020 season launches the second of a two-year partnership between HKUST and the Curtis Institute of Music. IC Founder and Artistic Director Bright Sheng (HKUST Jockey Club Institute for Advanced Study Helmut and Anna Pao Sohmen Professor-at-Large) is joined by:
- Distinguished Guest Artist Roberto Díaz (President and CEO of the Curtis Institute of Music and Grammy-winning violist);
- Distinguished Guest Composer David Serkin Ludwig (Curtis Chair of Composition Studies, Director of the Curtis 20/21 Ensemble and noted composer);
- Ensemble-in-Residence, Curtis 20/21 Ensemble, including the Vera Quartet (Quartet in residence at the Curtis Institute of Music);
- and other Guest Artists from Hong Kong and around the world.
Up to six Composer Fellows will be selected to participate. All submissions will be reviewed by a First-Round Selection Panel, consisting of David Serkin Ludwig (Curtis Chair of Composition Studies); Ilari Kaila (Composer-in-Residence, Lecturer, HKUST); and Isaac Droscha (Vocal artist, Lecturer, HKUST). Final selections will be made by Artistic Director Bright Sheng.
IC2020 is co-presented by the HKUST School of Humanities and Social Science and HKUST Jockey Club Institute for Advanced Study, together with the Curtis Institute of Music. The season is presented with support from Helmut and Anna Pao Sohmen in collaboration with Curtis on Tour, the Nina von Maltzahn Global Touring Initiative of the Curtis Institute of Music, and media partners Radio Television Hong Kong, and Naxos Music Group. Generous support for the Curtis 20/21 Ensemble is provided by the Daniel W. Dietrich II Foundation.
More About IC2020:
- Dr. and Mrs. Helmut Solmen in memory of Sir Yue-Kong Pao CBE JP
- Mr. Lincoln Yung